- Fiber: Apples are rich in dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and promote feelings of fullness.
- Vitamin-Rich: Apples are a good source of vitamin C and contain small amounts of vitamin A, iron, calcium and potassium.
- Low in Calories: A medium-sized apple contains about 95 calories.
- Antioxidant-Rich: Apples contain antioxidants, which help to fight oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Hydration: Apples have high-water content, about 85%, which can help keep you hydrated.
- Heart-Healthy: The fiber, potassium and antioxidants in apples are good for heart health.
- Weight Management: Due to their fiber content and low-energy density, apples can help with weight management when part of a balanced diet.
- Bone Health: Certain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds found in apples may promote bone health.
- Brain Health: Some studies suggest that eating apples may help boost brain function and protect against neurodegenerative diseases.
- Gut Health: Apples contain pectin, a type of fiber that acts as a prebiotic, feeding the good bacteria in your gut and promoting digestive health.
Apple-Glazed Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 apples, cored and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 c apple juice
- 2 T honey
- 1 T cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Step 2: Stuff the chicken with apples, onion, rosemary and thyme.
Step 3: Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Step 4: Roast for about 1-½ hours or until the juices run clear.
Step 5: In a saucepan, simmer apple juice and honey until reduced by half.
Step 6: Mix cornstarch with a little water, then add to the saucepan to thicken the glaze.
Step 7: Brush the apple glaze on the chicken for the last 15 minutes of roasting.