Cauliflower is considered one of the healthiest foods on Earth and with good reason. It has a rich supply of health-promoting phytochemicals, a high level of anti-inflammatory compounds, and the ability to ward off cancer, heart disease, brain disease and weight gain. There isn’t much cauliflower can’t do.
Top Health Benefits of Cauliflower
• Helps reduce cancer risk
• Fights inflammation
• Decreases risk for heart disease and brain disorders
• Provides high levels of vitamins and minerals (especially vitamins C and K)
• Improves digestion and detoxification
• Aids in weight loss
• Helps balance hormones
• Preserves eye health
The best ways to cook cauliflower are to gently sauté or stir fry to maintain nutritional value. Cauliflower can also be consumed raw. It’s best to use it within three to seven days of purchase.
Grilled and Marinated Flank Steak with Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
Yield: 5 servings
Total Time: 36 to 46 minutes (marinate 8 to 24 hours)
Prep Time: 20 minutes (marinate 8 to 24 hours)
Cook Time: 11 minutes (rest 5 to 15 minutes)
• 2 to 3 lb flank steak or London Broil
• 2 T balsamic vinegar
• 2 T fresh lemon juice
• 1 T Dijon mustard
• 1 T Worcestershire sauce
• 1 T finely minced fresh garlic
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp. dried basil
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika or paprika
• 1/4 cup olive oil
1. Combine balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and spices.
2. Whisk in olive oil.
3. Trim flank steak of visible fat. Make small scores about ¼-inch deep and ¼-inch apart on both sides of the meat.
4. Place meat in a small Ziploc® bag.
5. Pour marinade mixture over meat.
6. Marinate in refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours.
7. Take meat out of the refrigerator, drain out marinade, and let it come to room temperature while preheating a grill to high heat.
8. Turn grill to medium-high or let coals cool before grilling the meat.
9. Using a meat thermometer, cook to 130°F.
10. The meat will continue to cook as it rests, so remove it from the grill when it’s underdone rather than overdone.
11. When the meat reaches temperature, remove it from the grill.
12. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes for smaller pieces or 10 to 15 minutes for larger pieces.
13. Cut meat into thin slices across the grain, and serve immediately.
Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
Yield: 2 servings
Total Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
8 oz cauliflower florets horizontally sliced
2 T melted butter
1 T olive oil
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Toss sliced cauliflower with butter and olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. Transfer the cauliflower to a baking sheet. In single layer, roast until almost tender about 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and sprinkle cauliflower with grated Parmesan and chopped parsley. Roast until the cheese melts and is slightly crusty, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.