Benefits of Peaches
- Peaches are rich in phenolic and carotenoid compounds, which possess anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
- The chlorogenic and neochlorogenic acids present in peaches inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells without affecting normal cells.
- Peaches are rich in beta-carotene, providing protective effects against lung cancer.
Aid in Digestion
- The alkaline content and fiber in peaches are good for maintaining digestive health.
- Dietary fiber in peaches absorbs water and helps prevent stomach disorders such as constipation, hemorrhoids, stomach ulcers, gastritis and irregular bowel movements.
- They cleanse and eliminate toxic waste from the intestines and prevent the body from contracting various abdominal disorders, including stomach cancer.
- Peaches also help dissolve kidney and bladder stones.
Useful in Pregnancy
- The vitamin C in peaches helps in the growth of healthy bones, teeth, skin, muscles and blood vessels of the baby. It also helps in the absorption of iron.
- The folate in peaches helps prevent neural tube defects.
- Potassium in peaches helps avert muscle cramps and general fatigue.
Other health benefits of peaches include relief from hypokalemia, obesity, cholesterol and blood stasis, and a boost cardiac health and neurodegenerative diseases. They also help with eye care, skin care, and maintaining a healthy nervous system, bones and teeth.
Cook with Peaches
Indian-Spiced Beef with Peach-Grape Salsa
Ingredients Peach-Grape Salsa 1 medium peach, pitted and coarsely chopped ½ cup red grapes, quartered 1 T snipped fresh mint, 1 T lemon juice
Indian-Spiced Beef 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp ground ginger, ¼ tsp ground turmeric, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper, 1 lb beef flank steak
- Prepare salsa: In a small bowl, stir peaches, red grapes, snipped fresh mint and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Prepare beef: Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, combine coriander, garlic powder, cumin, salt, ginger, turmeric, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Trim fat from steak. Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Sprinkle steak evenly with spice mixture, rubbing in with your fingers.
- Place steak on the unheated rack of a foil-lined broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 17 to 21 minutes or until medium doneness (160°F), turning once. Cover with foil; let steak stand for five minutes before thinly slicing. Top steak slices with salsa.
To grill steak: For a charcoal grill, place seasoned steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 17 to 21 minutes for medium doneness (160°F), turning once halfway through grilling. For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steak on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed above.