Red cabbage, also known as purple cabbage, is a cruciferous vegetable that’s delicious raw and cooked.
While both red and green cabbage are good for you, red cabbage packs a more powerful nutritional punch and more antioxidants. It’s also known as ruby red kraut or blue kraut and can provide much-needed probiotic benefits.
Boosts the Immune System
–Contains vitamin C
–Stimulates the activity of white blood cells
Fights Inflammation and Arthritis
–Contains phytonutrients that may help reduce chronic inflammation
–Has sulforaphane, a potent inflammation killer found in many cruciferous vegetables
Aids Healthy Bones and Reduces the Risk of Osteoporosis
–Is a vitamin K-rich food
Combats Chronic Disease
–Is high in antioxidants to give the body its best chance to prevent and combat serious chronic diseases, such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes
Promotes a Healthy Gut
–Improves gut health by supporting the growth of healthy bacteria
Fresh Burrito Bowl
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 tsp chicken broth
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 oz pre-cooked grilled chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 T non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 T fresh salsa
- Sliced green onions as garnish
- Microwave black beans with chicken broth, oregano, cumin, cayenne and garlic powder on high for 30 to 45 seconds until heated. Set aside.
- Put sliced red cabbage in a bowl and spoon black beans on top. Layer with sliced chicken, Greek yogurt, salsa, and cilantro and green onions.