Summertime means peach season. This juicy fruit not only tastes good - it's good for you.
Benefits of Peaches
- Peaches are rich in phenolic and carotenoid compounds, which possess anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
- The chlorogenic and neochlorogenic acids present in peaches inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells without affecting normal cells.
- Peaches are rich in beta-carotene, providing protective effects against lung cancer.
Aid in Digestion
- The alkaline content and fiber in peaches are good for maintaining digestive health.
- Dietary fiber in peaches absorbs water and helps prevent stomach disorders such as constipation, hemorrhoids, stomach ulcers, gastritis and irregular bowel movements.
- Peaches cleanse and eliminate toxic waste from the intestines and prevent the body from contracting various abdominal disorders, including stomach cancer.
- Peaches also help dissolve kidney and bladder stones.
Useful in Pregnancy
- The vitamin C in peaches helps in the growth of healthy bones, teeth, skin, muscles and blood vessels of the baby. It also helps in the absorption of iron.
- The folate in peaches helps prevent neural tube defects.
- Potassium in peaches helps avert muscle cramps and general fatigue.
Other health benefits of peaches include relief from hypokalemia, obesity, cholesterol and blood stasis, and a boost cardiac health and neurodegenerative diseases. They also help with eye care, skin care, and maintaining a healthy nervous system, bones and teeth.
Grilled Peach and Brie Smothered Chicken
- 1 lb chicken cutlets
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 firm ripe peach, halved
- 4 oz Brie, sliced
Step 1: Preheat grill to medium-high.
Step 2: Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and salt.
Step 3: Oil the grill rack. Grill peach halves with the cut side down, until lightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Grill the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 160°F, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and top the chicken with the peach slices and cheese. Grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F and the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Calories: 342; Protein: 33.3g; Carbohydrates: 6.9g; Dietary fiber: 1.2g; Sugars: 5.4g; Fat 20.2g; Saturated fat: 6.4g; Cholesterol: 93.3mg; Sodium: 481.2mg