Working out in a "motivational pack" is becoming an increasingly preferred form of exercise. There is definite value in working out in a group — but what is it about exercising with others that motivates us?
Research shows that the healthy actions of others rub off on us. A study published in the Journal of Social Sciences found that participants tend to match the exercise behaviors of those around them. And a 2016 study published in the journal Obesity found that overweight people tend to lose more weight if they spend time with their fit friends — the more time they spend together, the more weight they lose.
Another study found that 95% of those who started a weight-loss program with friends completed the program.
All this makes a pretty strong case for making your workouts communal. But it’s just one of many reasons why it may be more effective and enjoyable to exercise a group.
The accountability of working out in a pack helps you stick with it. And seeing what others are capable of doing can inspire you to do more. Group settings can lead to a positive competitiveness, encouraging you to push yourself harder than you likely would working out solo.
If you're ready to try group exercise, Lexington Medical Center's Health Directions may be right for you. More than your average gym—Health Directions is a wellness gym, with certified staff trained to deal with a variety of physical conditions.
Weekly group exercise classes include:
- Cardio Kickbox – Enjoy this fun, heart-pumping workout while learning the basic elements of kickboxing, punches, kicks, knees, elbows, and combinations. This class will help build stamina, improve coordination and flexibility, and lean muscle. All fitness levels are welcome!
- Core Fusion – This class is based in Pilates and features moves from a variety of disciplines designed to strengthen and tone the muscles in your core. This class will use a variety of equipment (small balls, magic circles, foam rollers, weights, and bands).
- Cycle – Class to challenge your cardiovascular and muscular endurance. Each class is full of energy-powered intervals, hill climbs, sprints and drills to build endurance, strength, and speed.
- Functional Flow – Designed to provide an educational experience while strengthening your body at end ranges of motion for stability, mobility, and balance. This class blends flow, mindful movement, and breathing while providing feedback and coaching to move better on and off the yoga mat.
- Zumba® – Enjoy a mixture of low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. This class is a total workout, combining all fitness elements – cardio, muscle conditioning, balance, flexibility, boosted energy, and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave class.
- Yoga – Engage your body, mind, and spirit through the practice of Yoga. In this 45-minute class, participants will engage in dynamic, energetic, and calming movements to encourage the development of strength, body awareness, stamina, balance, and mindfulness. Open to all levels!
They also offer time-limited specialty programs that focus on a variety of exercise needs.
Learn more about Health Directions.