By: Susan K Wilkerson, RD, LD
The way you cook food can save you extra hours at the gym. For example, by baking fish for a sandwich instead of frying you will save hundreds of calories. Here are more healthy tips to help you on your weight loss journey.
- Plan meals ahead of time.
- Try cooking methods that cut calories:
- Cook without adding fat (bake, broil, roast, boil).
- Use nonstick cooking sprays instead of butter or oil. You can also use wine, broth, or fruit juice instead of oil when cooking.
- Use low-calorie foods instead of high-calorie ones when possible.
- Cook only what you need for one meal (don’t make leftovers).
- If you do make extra portions, put them away as soon as they are ready so you can save them for other meals.
- Cook when you are not hungry. For example, cook and refrigerate tomorrow’s dinner after you have finished eating tonight.
- Make fruits, vegetables, and other low-calorie foods part of each meal.
- Drink water while you cook.
Adopted from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Weight Lose Tips handout.
Blackened Salmon Sandwich
- 1 pound wild salmon fillet, and cut into 4 portions
- 2 teaspoons blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 1 small avocado, pitted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 crusty whole-wheat rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup arugula or other greens of your choice
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Oil grill rack preheat grill to high.
- Rub salmon on both sides with blackening (or Cajun) seasoning. Grill until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Mash avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread some of the avocado mixture on each roll and top with salmon, arugula, tomato and onion.